Friday, January 20, 2012

Long over-due update!

My old hack is toast, but this just makes way for my new hack. A Fallout-themed Earthbound ROMhack.

[Progress Report #1]

Yay! an update! Yes it's been a long time since my last post. Don't worry though, this hack is still being worked on. Although it really wasn't until recently that I began to get a lot more motivated. Thus you have this blog post.

In the past few weeks I've been able to write down several pages worth of notes about EB-Fallout. I have created a decent list of "features" I want to implement. Such as replacing the ATM card with a Pip-Boy, complete with a journal and area maps. Which can be upgraded later with additional features. As well as changing some status-ailments to more fit into the Fallout universe. Like changing the sunburn status to radiation sickness, and have specific "radioactive" tiles that inflict said sickness. I don't want to give away too many of the features I intend to implement. I do want some element of surprise.

The story is going to revolve around the idea "What if the events in Fallout were to happen in the Earthbound universe?" Most of the cities/towns you knew in Earthbound are either no more, or changed dramatically. You start in Onette, and as you fly over the town you recognize certain landmarks. Unfortunately everything is destroyed, nearly reduced to rubble. Fortunately before the bombs dropped the people of Onette were able to escape to a vast Vault-Tec vault. That vault was Vault 52.

You as the main character are a resident of Vault 52. Events eventually force you to leave the safety of your Vault in order to save your family, your Vault, and maybe...the entire world!?

There is still quite a lot to do still. Things on the current to-do are, custom tilesets, NPC sprites, alter ATM card into "pip-boy", MORE BATTLE SPRITES. Right now I need to research Rufus' "more flags" patch which creates a ton of usable flags in the expanded portion of the ROm. A good majority of the features I have planned hinge on this patch. Although luckily I'm almost 99% sure the patch works fine and I should be able to use it to add many, many more flags.

Last but not least, here's some battle sprites that I have completed. You didn't think I would make a blog post and not post some pics did you?

Bloatfly:

Eyebot:

Mark 1 Turret:

Mr. Handy:

Rad Roach:

Securitron:

Spider Mine:



A couple WIP battle sprites:

WIP Centaur:

WIP Molech:


That's it for right now, check back later for more updates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So is this project dead?